The EoF Summer School is aimed at PhD students and researchers (PhD and post-doc) notably in Economics and in Social Sciences. Students attending the summer school will intesify their knowledge in their fields of study and research and will have the opportunity to get to know peer leading researchers in an interdisciplinary co-generative environment. To function, collectivities need to foster inclusivity and cooperation among their members, thus by learning from different theoretical and empirical approaches, we believe attendees will substantially enrich their research agendas and advance our collective knowledge.
The summer school is a one-week program. The program comprises a full-time mix of lectures and workshops, taught by EoF professors and other invited leading scholars. The program also includes a number of relevant field trips and cultural events. Gubbio is, in fact, a town located in an area rich in natural beauty and artistic treasures. It is made up of history, culture, and landscape, and is located alongside historic centers of extraordinary beauty such as Assisi, Urbino, Sansepolcro, which we would like our participants to visit.
The participation is offered in person, taking into account the highest sanitary measures to protect both participants and professors. The venue will be the former seminary building in San Martino (see pictures below). The LUMSA campus offers teaching and logistic spaces: classrooms, garden, coffee and lunch break facilities. For all the participants, full sets of lecture notes and presentations will be made available, as well as the recordings of the courses.
> For this 1st EoF Summer School, there will be online lectures given by Flavio Comim and Sabina Alkire, and please note that Joseph Stiglitz and Robert Frank will give two plenary online lectures on August 31 and September 1. Other speakers to be confirmed.
Economics in the Age of the Commons
The EoF Summer School will offer high formation on the conceptual and practical pillars of the Economy of Francesco. The programme offers a focus on the topics of commons. With the third millennium, we have now entered the era of common goods: if we continue to think and act like we are the owners and masters of the earth, of the environment, of the oceans, we will only end up destroying them. We must quickly learn to make use of goods without being their masters, and master the art of using and ‘making use of’ them, without ownership, just like St. Francis. What if the economy of the sine proprio was that of the era of common goods? Will it be the oikonomia of Francis that will save both us and the earth in the end?
The professors will cover many topics from the fragility of goodness, reciprocity, the tragedy of the commons. Rational choice, trust, evolutionary game theory, history of economic thought; reciprocity, happiness in economics, relational goods; Franciscan economic thought; behavioral public policy and regulation, experimental economics.
Professors: Luigino Bruni, Matteo Rizzolli, Alessandra Smerilli
Tutors: Paolo Santori, Valentina Rotondi, Bernat Sellarès, Olena Komisarenko, Plinio Limata, Giorgia Nigri
- Apply by
June 21, 2021 (IMPORTANT: extended deadline to JUNE 30) by email to: [email protected]
- Each application will be examined and awarded by The Economy of Francesco Scientific Committee, coordinated by prof. Luigino Bruni
- Applicants were notified of the outcome of their application via email on July 6
- 5 grants sponsored by Economy of Communion (www.edc-online.org) are available for the EoF Summer School 2021 edition
- Payment by July 31 , 2021
- Participation guaranteed upon reception of full payment
YOUR APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE:
- A current Curriculum Vitae in pdf format
- A short motivation text
- A photo of yourself
- A reference letter
- Request for a grant, ONLY if you need it (justifying by valid reason i.e. economic needs; other funds/sponsor not available, etc)
How to pay the tuition fees?
You have been selected to attend the EoF Summer School 2021 and wish to finalize your registration by paying the tuition fees. We will communicate the steps for the online payment.
Some organizational/logistic notes:
TUITION FEE: 290€
The fee includes room & board for 6 days (welcoming young people from the dinner of Sunday, August 29th to the lunch of Saturday, September 4th, included) in a double room (or single room with an extra charge of 15€ per night).
No further expenses will be charged to the participants, as the organizational costs and the two trips are offered by the EoF Organizing Committee and the co-promoters of the Summer School.
All participants will stay at the Hotel San Marco (www.hotelsanmarcogubbio.com) and can easily walk to the headquarters of Lumsa in Gubbio.
- Confirmed participants who need to cancel, must formally communicate this by email as soon as possible.
- Although the organization doesn’t apply any cancellation policy, we trust in your cooperation to communicate promptly any due change, also in respect of any other possible participants. We recommend that you send us your cancellation no later than 5 days before the beginning of the event (August 24th, 5.00 pm CET)
- If you need to cancel due to force major (e.g., you have been refused a visa or sudden illness), you will be fully reimbursed upon providing proof of the reason.
Should you have any questions please contact us via [email protected] or [email protected]